The employees of the Russian Federation consulate in San Francisco, which the US authorities decided to close, was burning something in the chimney, the firefighters were turned away from the territory. This is reported by CNBC.
Black smoke appeared over the Russian consulate in San Francisco, which the US authorities decided to close, but the fire department officials were not allowed to enter the buiding.
The Associated Press journalist heard that the people who had left the building told the firefighters that there were no problems and that consulate employees burned certain items in the fireplace.
Mindy Talamadge, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco Fire Department, said the department received a call and sent a team to investigate, but found out that the smoke was coming from the chimney.
Talmadge said she did not know that they were burning on the day when the temperature in San Francisco had already risen to 35 degrees Celsius by noon.
"It was not accidental, they burned something in the chimney," she said.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation hastened to state that nothing unusual was happening, just the building was being prepared for conservation.