- You had worked at the European Business Association, were involved to the popularization of cashless payments in Ukraine. How did you start working with the National Bank?
- While working in the “Raiffeisen Bank Aval” on the position of the head of management of credit cards, I was also engaged in development and introduction of innovative solutions relating banking cards, as well as worked with the specialized banking cards associations. Among the other, over the last 2.5 years I chaired the electronic payments committee of the European Business Association, where one of my main tasks was to promote cashless payments and find solutions concerning regulatory support of these initiatives. Of course, we held meetings with representatives of the NBU quite often.
- Who has initiated your appointment to the NBU?
- My possible transition to the post of head of Retail Payments Department was being discussed with Yakiv Smoliy and Roman Borysenko for several months. Now, some time after my appointment, I understand why the personnel issue and the choice of the candidate is not only based on the expert level or managerial experience, but also on the real desire to promote forward the payment infrastructure of our country. This desire must be strong, and the candidate must be ready to meet such obstacles, which you cannot face while working in a commercial organization. Probably, my leadership skills and categorical rejection of accepting problems for years without changing anything influenced the choice of the of the NBU high officials.
- Yakiv Smoliy, Deputy Chairman of the National Bank, said after your appointment that you would also work in the NBU on improving and expanding the use of the National System of Mass Electronic Payments. What has already been done in this direction?
- We work quite constructively with the banks. During our work the NSMEP card acceptance network rose to nearly 80%. The basic condition for any further development of the payment system is spread of cards reception points, like ATMs and POS terminals, in retail outlets. In my presentation you have seen that the most of the big banks do already accept our card. The next steps are rebranding of the card itself, the introduction of innovative products (I have shown our NSMEP test contactless card), working with banks to introduce effective allocation of the card portfolio among the three main payment systems, with the NSMEP among them. For this purpose, we have developed a special interactive model of calculation of the bank’s operating costs to compare the NSMEP with other systems. This model was demonstrated today at the conference. With its help we will be able to prove the Ukrainian products’ economic advantages to the banks’ management.
Of course, we look forward and understand that the market won’t be satisfied for a long time by the basic functional. On the basis of the central router, we are working to launch direct payments between customers and the electronic commerce. Other areas of development are NFC-solution with using cloud technology and mobile phones, a solution for using contactless cards on the transport infrastructure. All these items, by the way, are managed by the team of engineers of my department together with the banks and companies, the pioneers of the Ukrainian market, which voluntarily help us to implement joint innovative projects.