Former finance minister and ex-secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleksandr Danylyuk submitted documents to the competition to select the head of the Bureau of Economic Security of Ukraine (BES). Danylyuk wrote about it on his Facebook page.
"I am applying for the head of BES," Danylyuk wrote.
Danyliuk submitted the documents one hour before the submission deadline.
In addition to him, Serhiy Solodchenko, a former acting head of the State Fiscal Service, also announced his candidacy.
On May 12, Cabinet created the Bureau of Economic Security. Ukraine’s Verkhovna Rada adopted the corresponding law on January 28, 2021.
According to the law, the Bureau of Economic Security is tasked with preventing, detecting, terminating, investigating, and containing criminal offenses under its jurisdiction. The Bureau of Economic Security is formed by the President of Ukraine.
Article 8 of the Draft Law describes an extensive list of the Bureau`s powers as listed below:
- to carry out operational and investigative activities (including pre-trial investigations);
- to perform a search on criminals;
- to carry out information retrieval and information-analytical work;
- to form a single database of analytical and information support for pre-trial investigation, operational and investigative activities;
- to demand the necessary information and documentation to perform the powers of the Bureau.
Overall, the Bureau of Economic Security will play the role of an economic supervisor, eliminating the Tax Police.