The law foresees switch to biometric passports, specifically, the ID cards. The document belongs to the package of the bills that Ukraine should pass so as to obtain the visa-free regime with the EU.
The explanatory note says that the actual bill aims to confirm the list of IDs that verify Ukrainian citizenship or the special status of particular person and sets legal differences between the IDs with and without the implanted digital device.
Thus, the law provides:
- clear distinction between types of documents with an embedded non-contact electronic media and without it;
- introduction of an obligation to registrater a passport of citizen of Ukraine after turning 14 years;
- introduction of identity cards for persons, who need additional protection, and the travel document of the person who has been granted subsidiary protection;
- introduction of the card of a migrant worker as a document certifying the identity of the foreigner or stateless persons who intend to do business in Ukraine, and confirming the legal basis to stay in Ukraine.
According to the law digitized fingerprints will be used for registration of passport, diplomatic, official and other documents. At the same time digitized fingerprints will be only used on person's conscent for obtainig a passport of citizen of Ukraine.
The law also defines a list of documents entitling a citizen of Ukraine to leave Ukraine and enter Ukraine, according to which such documents are:
- Ukrainian passport for travelling abroad (passport);
- Diplomatic passport of Ukraine;
- Service passport of Ukraine;
- Seafarer's identity document;
- Crew member certificate;
- Identity card to return to Ukraine (entitles you to entry to Ukraine).