The town of Debaltseve and its belonging is one of the most discussed issues on the agenda in the Minsk talks group. Stepan Poltorak, Ukraine’s defense minister, said this outside the session hall of the Ukrainian parliament on October 21.
‘As far as Debaltseve is concerned… when the Minsk agreement was signed, the town belonged to Ukraine. So this issue remains a burning one. However, at first, we need to complete the disengagement of troops in three sections of Donbas. In two of the three sections, the process is already complete, but in Stanytsia Luhanska, there are still certain problems; a mortar attack took place there yesterday’, he said.
Previously, Russia and the Kremlin-backed militants denied any opportunity to pass Debaltseve back to Ukraine. The town, which is also the important transport hub in Donetsk region, has been in the enemy hands since January 2015 – after the bloody battle of Debatlseve, where both Ukrainian forces and Russia-backed illegal armed units took severe casualties.