A ceasefire in Ukraine does not look "too good" and confirmation of the agreed removal of heavy artillery would have to wait until at least Wednesday. Lamberto Zannier, the secretary general of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, said that on Tuesday, reports Reuters.
"It looks like activities are continuing. I don't have a last-minute confirmation, but it doesn't look too good," said Lamberto Zannier.
"What we see is in various areas a continued 'kinetic activity,' as we call it, with light weapons mainly used, but in some cases also explosives, which means that they're also using mortars or some other heavier weapons that are a violation of (the) ceasefire," he told Reuters at the United Nations headquarters, where he had previously addressed the U.N. Security Council.
Ukrainian troops and Russian-backed separatists had appeared to be respecting the new ceasefire attempt on Monday, with each side acknowledging that the other was complying, he said to Reuters, admitting that the situation remaines "confused" and that there is a potential for a restart of another intense phase of combat.
He said Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin confirmed to him that instructions were given to provide the OSCE with information on the withdrawal of heavy weapons.
"We are checking on that now," he said, but confirmation would not come until at least Wednesday.
Earlier, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) announced about the Russia’s weapon deliveries to the self-proclaimed “republics” of Donbas - Russia supplies tanks and other armored vehicles to the separatists in the eastern Ukraine, as well as anti-tank weaponry and anti-aircraft missiles.