April Lyrids are considered one of the oldest meteor streams observed by people. The first mention of them is dated 687 B.C. It was more intensive then than now.
The Lyrids were tied with a famous comet in the 1860s.
Facts about April Lyrids
- The meteor shower will last from April 14 up to April 30.
- The peak of the meteor shower is expected on the night of April 23.
- The meteor shower is not dense. The expected amount of “shooting stars” is 20 per hour. The speed can reach 48 km per second.
- The Lyrids are clearly visible in the northern hemisphere.
- It is expected that the Lyrids will be visible in Kyiv from 9 p.m. on April 22 up to 5 a.m. on April 23. In the case of the good weather.
Sometimes the Lyrids stream took place unusually. Particularly, 2,000 meteors per hour were spotted in Ukraine in 1992, 100 meteors per hour were falling in 1982 in the U.S. and in Crimea in 1985.
The feature of the meteors of the Lyrids stream is that they are white and pretty fast, appearing in the sky in the form of the bright flashes
Neither telescope nor binoculars are needed to observe the meteor shower when the weather is unclouded.
The astrologers noted that Lyra is the constellation-patron of people, who has the creative flair. This period of time will be the most successful for people, who want to reveal their hidden talents, learning something new. All people tied with the art will be successful. However, the specialists warn about possible obstacles, which can be imposed by envious people. It is necessary not to boast the achievements to everyone.
The next meteor stream, which can be observed by the citizens of the Earth, will be the Southern Delta Aquariids. They will take place on July 28-30.