Read the original text at 112.ua.
Olympic Games are the most important and the most prestigious sports competition of the four years period. These Games are known not only by their emotional intensity but also by its established traditions.
We have prepared a viewer's guide to tell you all the basic facts about the forthcoming Olympics. The key points you need to know for a comfortable start of the competition.
- Olympic Games are the largest international complex sports competitions, held every four years under the auspices of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
The medal won at the Olympics is considered one of the highest achievements in sports.
- The tradition of holding the Olympics goes back to Ancient Greece. Antique games were held in Olympia, which the Greeks considered being a sacred place. The name of the Games come from Olympia.
- The modern Olympic Games were revived in the late nineteenth century by the French public figure Pierre de Coubertin.
Pierre de Coubertin
Since 1896, the Summer Olympic Games have been held every 4 years, except during the world wars.
- Winter Olympic Games were established in 1924. Initially, they were held in the same year as the summer ones.
- A few days after the Olympic Games, the Paralympic Games for people with disabilities are held.
Traditions of the Olympic Games
Opening of the Olympic Games in Sochi
- The grand opening and closing ceremonies. The development of these events involves the best specialists, famous representatives of show business; the ceremonies are attended by the first persons of different countries.
1.1. A mandatory attribute is the ceremonial passage of athletes and delegations from each participating country through the stadium (it takes place during the opening and closing ceremonies).
According to the tradition, the first delegation is from Greece, which is the ancestor of the Games. The remaining countries go in the alphabetical order of the host country language.
1.2. Speaking of the oath on behalf of all participants of the Games about a fair fight in accordance with the rules and principles of sport and the Olympic spirit. According to tradition, it is read by one of the outstanding athletes of the host country.
A few judges on behalf of all judges say vows about impartial judging.
1.3. The opening ceremony is crowned with a light at the Olympic Stadium.
The path of fire is very interesting - by tradition, it begins with the sun in Temple of Apollo, Olympia.
Then the Olympic torch is carried on its global relay. Until 2007, it was held around the world. Now the torch is carried only around the host country (for the purposes of the anti-terrorist campaign).
1.4. Since 1932, the city-organizer had to build the "Olympic Village," a complex of living quarters for the game's participants.
1.5. The obligatory attribute of the Olympiads is talismans. The Talisman of the Olympics in Pyeongchang will be the tiger Suhoran, of the Paralympic Games - the Bandabi bear.
Olympics in Pyeongchang
- XXIII (twenty-third) Winter Olympic Games will be held in South Korean Pyeongchang.
- The Olympics in Pyeongchang are the third in the history of the Winter Games in Asia after the Japanese Sapporo 1972 and Nagano-1998.
- Pyeongchang has won the right to hold the Olympics for the third time. Previously, it has lost in the struggle to host the 2014 Olympics (Russian Sochi) and the 2010 Olympics (to the Canadian Vancouver).
- Olympic Games in Pyeongchang would set a record by the number of participants: it would involve nearly 3,000 athletes from 92 countries. The largest number of the participants comes from the United States - 242 athletes who will compete in all sports.
- The teams of Malaysia, Singapore, Ecuador, Eritrea, Nigeria, and Kosovo will take part in the winter Olympics for the first time.
- There will be 15 kinds of sports. During 16 days of competition, athletes will compete for 102 sets of awards.
- The competition will host 12 sports arenas, 6 of them are absolutely new and 6 are reconstructed.
- The budget for the Olympics was just under $ 13 billion.
Ukraine at the Olympics in Pyeongchang
- The Olympic team of Ukraine includes 33 athletes.
- Ukraine will be represented in nine kinds of sports: biathlon, mountain skiing, cross-country skiing, nordic combined, tobogganing, snowboarding, skeleton, figure skating and freestyle.
- The largest Ukraine’s team would be biathlon group (11 people).
- The state allocated 4,2 million USD for the Olympic Games preparation. Half of the sum went to biathlon.
- Analysts of the Gracenote company believe that Ukraine will win one medal at the Games (bronze in the women's relay race in biathlon).
Where to watch the Olympics-2018
UA:First TV Channel will broadcast important meetings and final stages of the main competitions, the total duration of the broadcasts will be at least 100 hours. Particular attention will be paid to the most popular sports in Ukraine and the performances of the national Olympic team of athletes.