War-torn Donbas faces threat of ecological disaster
Potential coal mine floods in east Ukraine cause international experts to look for ways to prevent a collapse
A report on the threat of ecological disaster in Donbas was presented at today’s Minsk peace negotiations, press secretary of Leonid Kuchma (Ukraine’s representative in the negotiation), Daria Olifer informed on Facebook.
“Economic subgroup of Minsk peace negotiation discussed ecological issues. German expert Rolf Petri presented a report on the state of coal mines in Donbas. Earlier, Ukraine brought in international ecology experts to evaluate industrial enterprises in Donetsk and Luhansk regions. Data presented in the report cause concern over possible coal mine floods, threating to cause an ecological disaster all over Donbas. Thus, experts are working on a solution”, - the press secretary wrote.
Earlier, the Head of Independent Trade Union of Miners of Donbas Mykhailo Volynets stated, that at least 80 coal mines have stopped working due to the military conflict in east Ukraine.
Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 27 October, 09:44
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas 27 October, 09:05
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case