U.S. State Department calls on Russia to cancel ban of Mejlis
The USA once again demands from Russia to stop occupation of the peninsula
State Department of the United States calls on the Russian Federation to cancel the decision on ban of Mejlis of Crimean Tatar people, it is said in the report published on official website of the State Department.
U.S. State Department points out, that Mejlis has been a representative organ of Crimean Tatars for a very long time, being an instrument to preserve culture of the indigenous people and to protect them from discrimination.
“Russian authorities have no right to apply their legislation to Crimean Tatars in Ukraine. Ban of Mejlis will limit freedom of speech of Crimean Tatars, which contradicts basic principle of democracy”, - it is said in the report.
U.S. State Department has once again encouraged Russia to stop occupation of Crimea and to return it to Ukraine. “Sanctions connected to Crimea will stay in place as long as the occupation continues”, - the State Department announced.
On April 18, Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation listed Mejlis of Crimean Tatars as extremist organization.
On April 13, Prosecutor of Crimea Natalia Poklonska suspended Mejlis of Crimean Tatars.
The decision to suspend Mejlis will be in force until Supreme Court of Crimea rules on Poklonska’s appeal. Earlier, she demanded to recognize Mejlis an extremist organization. The lawsuit is currently at the stage of consideration.
Mejlis of Crimean Tatar people, in the periods between sessions of Kurultay, is the only executive organ of Crimean Tatars, elected by Kurultay among its delegates. Kurultay is the highest institute of state authority of the Crimean Tatar people, summoned amid turning points in their history.
Ukraine sues Russia for illegal capture of its gas assets in Crimea 19 October, 11:27
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
Panov and Zahtey in Lefortovo 14 October, 12:49
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels