US envoy to OSCE calls on Russia to ‘withdraw weapons’ from Donbas
Daniel Baer says Russian-backed militants have declared only half of their weapons
The US representative to the OSCE is urging Russia to withdraw heavy weapons from militants-held territories of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine. That's according to Ukrainian news service Ukrinform.
“The presence of heavy weapons in areas held by separatists close to the line of contact means, that attacks from small arms are very likely to grow into full-fledged military activity,” Daniel Baer, the U.S. Ambassador for the OSCE, said during a meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council in Vienna.
The top envoy also pointed out that militants have declared only half of their weapons before Europe's security watchdog.
According to Bayer, this week, the Special Monitoring Mission has reported 14 times more banned weapons in militants-held territories than it had been declared.
“We call on Russia and the separatists to immediately withdraw weapons”, the U.S. Ambassador stated.
Emphasizing, that “local elections in separate regions of Donetsk and Luhansk regions cannot be held at gunpoint”.
OSCE: SMM observers are limited in movement in Donbas 29 September, 09:47
OSCE cannot confirm ‘Motorola’s death 17 October, 17:49
OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas 21 October, 20:31
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
- RUSSIA11:01Justice Minister: ‘Kremlin will recognize Sentsov, Kolchenko’s Ukrainian citizenship’
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:17Donbas: ‘Grad’ missile launchers shell Troitske, Luhansk region
- SOCIETY09:30UN Security Council: Assad regime responsible for three chemical attacks
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars