UN calls on Russia’s Supreme Court to cancel ban of Crimean Tatar Mejlis
This will improve the situation with human rights in Russian-occupied Crimea, according to Ivan Simonovic
The UN Assistant Secretary General for Human Rights, Ivan Simonovic, addressed Supreme Court of the Russian Federation suggesting to cancel the ban of Crimean Tatar Mejlis, Simonovic stated this at a press conference in Kyiv, ‘Krym-Realii’ reports.
Simonovic believes, this will improve the situation with human rights in Russian-occupied Crimea: ‘In Crimea, legislation on separatism and extremism is used to restrict opposing views. Judicial system and law enforcement have become instruments to stifle the opposition. Crimean Tatars are forced to suffer the most, considering their main executive body – Mejlis – has been banned. I call on the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation to cancel ban of Mejlis, which will improve the situation with human rights of minorities and indigenous people’.
On May 26, Supreme Court of Russian-occupied Crimean banned Mejlis accusing it of extremism.
Sushchenko case: Ukrainian reporter arrested for two months 3 October, 11:30
Ukrainian consul prevented from visiting detained Kolchenko 1 October, 14:00
Gerashchenko: Ukraine demands that Russia releases Sushchenko 3 October, 10:00
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
- SOCIETY08:14Russia provides Netherlands with MH17 materials
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case