Ukrainian MPs approve renaming Dnipropetrovsk under ‘decommunisation’ drive
In practice, the bureaucratic process of altering the names of geographical locations, buildings, companies and landmarks could take years.
Ukrainian MPs have overwhelmingly approved the renaming of Dnipropetrovsk, the country’s third most populated city. During a heated parliamentary session on May 19, 247 lawmakers approved the change to ‘Dnipro’, a largely used but unofficial name.
Andriy Denisenko, a Ukrainian MP from the city who spearheaded the campaign, was quoted by Radio Svoboda as saying:
“Millions of people in Dnipropetrovsk region wait for decommunization. The peoples’ desire for this change is happening as most city residents called it ‘Dnipro’. Our city should not be obliged to be named after the co-organizer of the Holodomor (Grigory) Petrovsky”.
Fierce opposition came from the Russian-leaning ‘Opposition Bloc’ faction, many of who’s members are closely linked to former president Viktor Yanukovych.
The city was founded 240 years ago and was originally envisioned as the Russian Empire's third capital city, after Moscow and Saint Petersburg.
With reporting from UNIAN, Radio Svoboda
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists 21 October, 16:40
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars