Ukraine celebrates national ‘Vyshyvanka Day’
The traditional embroidered dress has become a popular national symbol since the fall of the Soviet Union
Ukraine marks the Day of Vyshyvanka on Thursday, May 19. The event is aimed at preservation of Ukraine’s values and passing them on to youth and all Ukrainians. Usually, the celebration involves concerts, competitions, parties and fairs.
A flash mob “Unity Chain to the Day of Vyshyvanka” will be organized on May 19 at 6 p.m. between the two bell towers of Sofiyskiy and Mykhailivskiy cathedrals. Participants of the flash mob, wearing Vyshyvankas, will create a live chain connecting two squares in the heart of Kyiv.
Vyshyvanka is the embroidered shirt, part of Ukrainian national costume. It is distinguished by local embroidery features specific to every separate region of Ukraine.
Video courtesy: Den Vyshyvanky
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
Kyiv not to congratulate Putin on his birthday, - Peskov 7 October, 20:15
In Kyiv March of heroes' glory is over 14 October, 18:33
IMF mission to arrive in Ukraine on October 26 17 October, 19:03
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars