Ukraine marks second anniversary of ATO
According to the UN, the number of victims of Donbas conflict reached 9,000
Two years ago, on April 14, 2014, then-acting Speaker of Ukrainian parliament Oleksandr Turchynov signed a decree starting Anti-Terroristic Operation in Donbas.
Turchynov called on Donbas militants to put down their weapons by 9 a.m. on April 14 and promised amnesty for those, who didn’t shoot at Ukrainian Armed Forces, the decree came into force thereafter.
On May 12, self-proclaimed republics “DPR” and “LPR” announced independence having conducted a referendum. The intensity of military activity in Donbas increased.
As of now, according to the UN, the number of victims of Donbas conflict reached 9,000 people, including 298 victims of Malaysian Boeing disaster. 15,000 people have been injured. Casualties of Ukrainian Armed Forces amount to 2,000 troopers.
A Trilateral Contact Group on Donbas conflict has been created. Minsk agreements have been signed due to negotiations of the contact group. The first Minsk agreement was signed on September 5, 2014, enshrining ceasefire, which has been constantly violated.
After dramatic deterioration of the conflict on February 12, after long negotiations of “Normandy Four” in Minsk, it has been agreed to implement ceasefire and withdraw weapons from contact line in Donbas. On February 14, leader of “DPR” Oleksandr Zakharchenko, who took part in Minsk negotiation, signed a decree, committing militants to implement ceasefire.
Ceasefire, approved during Minsk negotiation, came into force on December 23, at midnight. However, militants continue to violate ceasefire by shelling ATO positions on daily basis.
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin informed about the demand of Western leaders to carry out local election in Donbas: the election must be open to mass media, political parties, must be based on Ukrainian law and come in line with OSCE criteria. Klimkin stated, that his colleagues “want to see real election, instead of another farce”.
35000 militants and 6000 Russia's officers in Donbas reported 28 October, 17:18
Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ 27 October, 09:44
Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas 27 October, 09:05
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas conflict: 21 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:07Yanukovych can not be interrogated due to absence of video conferencing system
- FINANCE22:17Poland Deputy PM: Doubling of minimum salary in Ukraine is unpleasant surprise
- POLITICS21:34Russia is not re-elected to UN Human Rights Council
- SOCIETY20:43Savchenko’s declaration: Sister’s cars and mother’s land
- UA & EU20:04Schulz: European Parliament is on Ukraine’s side
- SOCIETY19:14Halloween is coming in Ukraine
- UA & EU18:43Tusk: EU needs to complete internal procedures for granting visa liberation to Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 17:59Russian aviation drill airstrikes in Belarus airspace near Ukrainian border, - intelligence
- POLITICS17:29Russian forces may reach Tallinn and Riga in 60 hours max, - RAND report
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case