Battle for Donetsk Airport: 242 days of siege
Ukrainian soldiers abandoned the ruins on January 21, 2015 after months of heavy battles
The battle between Ukraine’s Armed Forces and militants of self-styled people’s republics of Donetsk and Luhansk for Donetsk International Airport started on May 26, 2014.
Russian-backed militants started the offensive on the airport at night of May 26. First battles for the airport were reported in the day of May 26. It has been established, that former member of Ukraine’s Security Serivce in Donetsk region has led the militants into the terminals of the airport. He was arrested shortly afterwards.
The airport’s defense operation lasted for 242 days.
Overall, at least 1,000 Ukrainian military took part in the defense operation. Just over the final week of the siege – January 14-21 – 20 Ukrainian soldiers were killed, trying to repel enemy’s attacks, 95 were wounded.
Russian-backed militants shelled Donetsk airport with various weapons. Numerous attacks from prohibited weapons, including phosphorus munitions, were reported.
Ukrainian soldiers were forced out of the airport on January 21, 2015 admitting they lost control over the airport after atrocious battles. Under peace agreements, Donetsk airport is a demilitarized area, however, numerous attacks are constantly being reported in the area.
Watch the video (Source: Radio Liberty):
Donetsk militants hand over another 23 hostages 19 October, 15:31
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Donbas conflict: 18 attacks reported 17 October, 23:58
29 attacks in Donbas region during previous 24 hours, - ATO HQ 18 October, 09:31
- POLITICS16:0014 Russian citizens detained during counter-terrorism operation in Germany
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:15Ukraine’s Helsinki Union creates center to document war crimes
- SOCIETY14:31US extends ban on flights of aircraft in Simferopol and Dnipropetrovsk
- UKRAINE CRISIS 13:44Trilateral contact group returns to work in Minsk, - Tandyt
- SOCIETY12:55SBU interrogates Savchenko as witness in Ukraine’s territorial integrity infringement case
- SOCIETY11:58Lutkovska calls on Russia’s Ombudsman to rethink transfer of Sentsov, Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY11:14Groysman: We conduct large-scale reform of local self-government in Ukraine
- SOCIETY10:3180 human rights organizations urge not to allow Russia to UN Human Rights Council
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:43Donbas conflict: 40 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY08:58Netherlands consider two options for MH17 trial
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain