Steinmeier: ‘Savchenko’s exchange will contribute to more trusting relations between Ukraine and Russia’
Exchange of prisoners is likely to streamline implementation of Minsk peace deal, according to Germany’s Foreign Minister
Today’s exchange of Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko for two fighters of Russia’s Special Service is likely to ‘contribute to more trusting relations between Ukraine and Russia’, Germany's Foreign Ministry reports, quoting Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
‘I’m glad and relieved, that finally Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko is released and can return back to Ukraine and to her family. This is good news and we all worked hard to make it happen. I wish Savchenko health improvement. I hope, that today’s exchange will contribute to more trusting relations between Ukraine and Russia and, thus, will streamline implementation of Minsk peace deals’, - Steinmeier stated.
Earlier today, the EU High Repersentative on Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini said, that the European Union celebrates Nadia Savchenko's release together with Ukraine.
The plane with Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko on board has landed in Kyiv Boryspil airport.
Savchenko was sentenced to 22 years of prison by a Russian court for allegedly killing two Russian journalists and illegally crossing Russian border.
Nadia Savchenko was exchanged for two fighters of Russia’s Special Service and pardoned by the President of the Russian Federation.
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists 21 October, 16:40
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
- SOCIETY10:33Free Sentsov action at Ukraine’s film festival in Poland
- SPORT09:49Ukraine’s athletes win five medals at World Cup in swimming
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars