October 25: local elections day in Ukraine
Mayors and deputies of local councils are elected for 2 years
Today, 25 October, in Ukraine elections are held of deputies of local councils, city mayors and chairmen of village councils. Ukrainians elect deputies of 10.7 thousand local councils.
This-year local voting is organized under the new election system of so-called “open lists”. While voting for local deputy, citizens simultaneously vote for party he is representing. In consequence, local representative bodies are formed according to the share of votes, which political parties receive, and those party candidates pass who have received comparatively bigger number of votes. Elections of mayors of big cities (with more than 100 thousand inhabitants) are organized in two rounds.
According to the law passed on July 14, 2015, elections do not take place in Crimea, Sevastopol and some areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, actually not controlled by Ukraine, as well as government-controlled territories close to the contact line. Also, elections won’t be held to Donetsk and Luhansk regional councils.
The next local elections are to take place in October, 2017 - in case amendments to the Constitution and the reform of administrative-territorial structure take place.
On these elections, near 1 million people, internally displaced from Crimea and war-torn Donbas, are spared of right to vote.
Previous nationwide local elections were held on October 31, 2010.
Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas 24 October, 16:37
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region 24 October, 20:21
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain