Minister-President of the Netherlands Mark Rutte cast vote for Ukraine-EU Association Agreement
“I cast my vote for the Association Agreement with Ukraine, because I think it is a necessary thing to do”, - Rutte
Minister President of the Netherlands Mark Rutte voted for the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union in today’s referendum, informed “112 Ukraine” correspondent.
“I cast my vote for the Association Agreement with Ukraine, because I think it is a necessary thing to do. I believe, it will bring peace to the borders of the EU. Moreover, we will help Ukraine develop rule of law, economy and democracy, fight against corruption and tighten trade relations”, - Rutte stated.
A consultative referendum on Ukraine-EU Association Agreement will take place in the Netherlands on April 6. The Netherlands has finalized the ratification of Ukraine-EU Association Agreement in July 2015, but the Dutch can still vote on it in a referendum. The results of the referendum will be recognized if 30% of Dutch citizens participate in it. The referendum is funded by the Dutch government, which allocated €30 million for its organization. The proposed referendum question is the following: Are you “for” or “against” the ratification of the Ukraine-EU Association Agreement?
There are several scenarios according to which the events may unfold after the referendum. First of all, there’s a chance that the results of the referendum will not be recognized, in case the turnout amounts to less than 30%. Sociologist forecast a turnout of over 40% of citizens.
In case the Dutch vote against the Association, government of the Netherlands must submit it for consideration of the parliament. The parliament has options to either approve or cancel it. If citizens of the Netherlands vote for the Association, it will come into force.
Official results will arrive on April 12.
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- POLITICS09:15Ukraine, France discuss placing OSCE police mission in Donbas
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:30Donbas: 54 attacks on Ukrainian positions over last 24 hours
- POLITICS07:50Klimkin: Normandy Four foreign ministers could meet in late November
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case