‘Lifting anti-Russian sanctions in exchange for Savchenko’s release is out of the question’: Western diplomat
Anti-Russian sanctions stay in force until Russia implements all items of Minsk peace deal
Lifting or even easing anti-Russian sanctions in exchange for Nadia Savchenko’s release is out of the question, ‘Kommersant’ reports, quoting a high-ranking Western diplomat, who commented on Nadia Savchenko’s exchange for two fighters of Russia’s Special Services.
‘This is very good news. Many Western countries, including the USA and the EU, have put in a lot of effort to make it happen. The exchange is a huge step forward regarding Minsk peace deal’, - the diplomat commented.
However, the diplomat added, many other citizens of Ukraine are still detained in the Russian Federation: ‘Moreover, there’ still no progress on other items of Minsk peace deal, like, for instance, granting access to OSCE mission to separatist-held territories of eastern Ukraine. We’ve already made it clear, that sanctions will stay in force until all items of Minsk peace deal are implemented. Lifting or easing anti-Russian sanctions in exchange for Savchenko's release is out of the question’.
Earlier today, the plane with Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko on board has landed in Kyiv Boryspil airport.
Savchenko was sentenced to 22 years of prison by a Russian court for allegedly killing two Russian journalists and illegally crossing Russian border.
Nadia Savchenko was exchanged for two fighters of Russia’s Special Service and pardoned by the President of the Russian Federation.
Ukraine banned all Russian payment systems in Ukraine 18 October, 14:35
What to expect from EU-Ukraine summit? 11 October, 13:53
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars