The oldest sculptural monument of Kyiv was built in Volodymyr Hill park on the Dnipro steeper in 1853. According to legend, somewhere in these places Prince Volodymyr Svyatoslavich baptized the inhabitants of the city, thereby turning Kievan Rus into a bulwark of Christianity in the Slavic lands. The monument was created by Peter Clodt von Jürgensburg (statue of Volodymyr), Alexander Ton (pedestal), and Vasily Demuth-Malinovsky (bas-reliefs).
The bronze 4.4-meter statue depicts Prince Volodymyr in a cloak with a large cross in his right hand and a grand prince's cap in his left hand. It rises on a 16-meter pedestal, which has the outline of an octagonal chapel in pseudo-Byzantine style. The brick pedestal and stylobate are faced with cast-iron plates. The total height of the monument is 20.4 m. The pedestal depicts the scenes of baptizing Rus (988), emblem of Kyiv, and the star of the Order of St. Volodymyr.