Ukrainian court sentences controversial blogger to 3.5 years prison
Ruslan Kotsaba was accused of ‘high treason’ and obstructing the work of the armed forces
Ivano-Frankivsk city court sentenced journalist Ruslan Kotsaba to 3,5 years of prison.
The journalist was sentenced under article 114-1 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine (Hindering the activities of Ukrainian Armed Forces and other military forces).
Mitigating circumstances are first record and two under aged children.
Considering the fact that Kotsaba has been in detention center since February 7, 2015, he has only one year left to serve.
The prosecution will consider a possibility of appeal after studying the verdict.
State prosecution demanded that the journalist be sentenced to 13 years of prison with confiscation of property under the article “high treason”.
The criminal case against Kotsaba was initiated after he announced an information campaign “I am against mobilization”. International human rights organizations, as well as Ukrainian ombudsman encouraged to release the journalist.
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
- POLITICS14:47Ukraine summons Syrian diplomat to protest against recognition of Crimea’s occupation
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:01No fatalities among Ukrainian servicemen in Donbas over last 24 hours
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain