Chornobyl NPP disaster in numbers
Chornobyl disaster struck the world 30 years ago, on April 26, 1986
Telling the story of Chornobyl in numbers, means talking about big frightening numbers and the data, still unknown, which makes it even sadder.
We offer statistics, showing the scale of the largest nuclear disaster in the history of nuclear power:
Over €2 billion ($2,25 billion dollars): The funds allocated at international level to finance a long-term confinement over the exploded reactor.
4,7 thousand square km: Territory around the Nuclear Power Plant, rejected due to high radiation. Around half of this area is located in Ukraine, the other half – in Belarus. The area is as big as American state Rhode Island.
Around 600,000 people: Chornobyl liquidators, who put out the fire in the destroyed reactor. All of them were exposed to high level of radiation.
Around 350,000 people: Evacuated from the area of the explosion in the first days after the disaster, including all 45,000 citizens of Prypyat, who were later relocated by the government.
30 people staff: Staff of the NPP, who were killed in the explosion or due to high level of radiation disease.
9,000: The possible number of deaths from Chornobyl is a subject of speculation and argument. Even after the death of the last person, who was alive on the day of the tragedy, still Chornobyl will account for many other deaths, since radioactive fallout pervaded food production enterprises.
2 days: The period when the world knew nothing of the disaster. Only after staff of a Swedish NPP detected radioactive fallout and analyzed where it could come from, the information about the nuclear tragedy started to leak. Controlled Soviet mass media waited for almost 3 days to inform that something went wrong. Even back then they downplayed the scale of the tragedy.
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:37Donetsk, Luhansk militants against armed OSCE mission in Donbas
- SOCIETY15:47112 Ukraine TV Channel wired to explode
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain