Ambassador: Relations between Ukraine and the Netherlands at their best despite results of referendum
The referendum showed attitude of the eurosceptic Dutch to Europe and the EU rather than their attitude to Ukraine
Bilateral relations Ukraine-the Netherlands are at their best despite the results of the referendum, informed Ambassador of Ukraine in the Netherlands Alexander Gorin in an interview to “112 Ukraine”.
“Results of the referendum showed that majority of the Dutch are against the Association Agreement. But this is just relative majority, because if we take into account absolute numbers, it will become obvious that only 20% of the Dutch are against Ukraine-EU Agreement. The number of people, who voted against the Agreement in the referendum coincides with the number of adherents of parties, which voted against the Agreement in parliament in April 2016. This is around 2 million. In other words, the Socialist party and the People’s party, which are considered authoritarian, opposed the Association. Those, who thought that the referendum wasn’t supposed to take place at all or thought that the Agreement can be ratified despite the outcome of the referendum – simply didn’t turn up to cast their vote. This may be a protest against such type of voting, against a representative system of democracy, which we see in the Netherlands”, - the Ambassador explained.
“All European politicians voiced their support to Ukraine. These are serious statements, which prove that Ukraine will continue to get support. I think, bilateral relations between Ukraine and the Netherlands are currently at their best, despite results of the referendum. Our relations demonstrate that referendum showed attitude of the Eurosceptic Dutch to Europe and the EU rather than their attitude to Ukraine”, - Gorin added.
A consultative referendum on Ukraine-EU Association Agreement took place in the Netherlands on April 6. The referendum is regulated by the recently adopted Dutch law on consultative referendums. According to the law, the citizens have a right to demand a referendum to vote on laws and / or agreements.
According to the updated results of exit polls in Ukraine-EU Association referendum in the Netherlands, the turnout amounted to 32,2%. 61,1% of the Dutch voted against the Association, 38,1% - supported the agreement.
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case