165 countries to sign Paris Agreement in UN HQ in New York today
Ukraine will also sign the agreement, which is to replace Kyoto protocol
Today, the historical agreement on climate change, adopted in December 2015 in Paris, will be signed in New York Headquarters of the United Nations, it is said in the report on the organization’s website. Paris Agreement will replace Kyoto protocol and will come into force starting 2020.
165 announced their readiness to join the agreement. President of France Francois Hollande was the first to put his signature under the document.
The agreement on climate change was adopted on the 21st Conference of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change. The agreement contains a promise to hold the increase of global temperatures at the level of 1,5 degrees Celsius.
After the signing ceremony, representatives of UN member states will share their views on the “roadmap” that would lead to the required result in the fight against global warming and will inform about deadlines for ratification of Paris Agreement in their countries.
Paris Agreement will come into force on the 30th day after its ratification by at least 55 countries, accountable for not less than 55% of greenhouse gas emissions.
“Signing is the first step towards a legally binding agreement. By signing the agreement, a country announces its readiness to proceed to internal state procedures, necessary for the ratification”, - the UN point out.
Ukraine is among the countries to sign the Paris Agreement.
Ukraine in UN: Occupied Crimea militarization is dangerous for Europe 13 October, 12:38
UNDP continues support for Donbas restoration 16 October, 11:03
Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order 24 October, 22:37
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain