World Bank: Ukraine fails to efficiently used funds provided
Partly problems stem from Ukrainian bureaucracy that is regulated and very self-contained
The inability of Ukraine to master the tools provided by the World Bank is a global problem faced by all of its major lenders. ZN.UA reports this citing a senior portfolio manager of the World Bank projects (WB) in Ukraine Claudia Maksimenko.
"On the donor meetings, we see that the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the European Investment Bank and the KfW face these same problems. The experience of similar projects in other countries shows that they can be implemented in Ukraine, but the practice, unfortunately, proves the opposite", said Maksimenko.
According to her, part of these problems stem from the fact that the Ukrainian bureaucracy is regulated and very self-contained, all to the last steps described in the legislation, and any amendments to it turns out into a long and laborious process.
"Sometimes I have such sad impression that the World Bank projects in Ukraine are most needed to the World Bank. But we do not actually earn on Ukraine, investments are not the source of our revenues. Furthermore, if the project was not implemented or was not realized fully, it is rather a loss for us, because we spend on drafting our own funds, which Ukraine should not return to us. These services are not included in the loan, and the team that spends forces for the development and supervision of the unrealized or ineffective projects would send the same effort to address other equally urgent problems", said Maksimenko.
Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer 27 October, 14:30
IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November 27 October, 15:17
Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas 27 October, 16:03
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Vodyane, Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:50OSCE SMM reports increase of military activity in Donbas
- UKRAINE TOP 21:18Ukraine slaps Russian airlines with 28 million dollars fine
- RUSSIA19:47Foreign Ministry: Russia must release Sushchenko and other detained Ukrainians
- FINANCE19:00IMF confirm visit of their mission to Ukraine in November
- POLITICS18:14Amnesty International: Karpyuk, Klykh fell victims of Russian parody on justice
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case