Ukraine could lose visa free regime if it stalls combating corruption, - Transparency International
Delaying the creation of the National Agency of Prevention of Corruption endangers the visa-free regime, the organization’s CEO said as quoted by Radio Liberty
“Ukraine willingly took upon itself a commitment to create this agency by the end of the first quarter and to prove that it works effectively. Only in this case, European institutions that still have to ratify the visa-free regime with Ukraine will do so. That is, European can anytime deny their words about the prospects of the visa-free regime, saying that Ukraine also refused from its commitments, one of which is to reform the anti-corruption institute”, said Olexiy Khmara, CEO at Transparency International Ukraine (Radio Liberty).
Earlier, the Cabinet approved Natalya Korchak, Olexandr Skopych and Viktor Chumak as members of the National Agency on Prevention of Corruption, which makes two more posts vacant in the Agency. According to Viktor Chumak, the Agency could work effectively with at least three members approved. The law on the Agency foresees that the body makes decisions by majority vote, which makes at least three voters necessary. However, if anyone of them votes no, the decision is not made.
The National Agency on Prevention of Corruption is one of the key points in the Anti-corruption strategy of the government in 2015. It should start its work by the end of 2016. It will shape and lead the state register of financial declarations of all officials. Unlike the National Anti-Corruption Bureau, it will have no right to conduct investigations.
What to expect from EU-Ukraine summit? 11 October, 13:53
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case