Some EU countries ready to soften sanctions against Russia - MEP
Within the EU, some member states suppose that sanctions upon Russian Federation should be lifted as a sign of encouragement, Lithuanian politician told
Some of the EU countries support the proposal to cancel the sanctions against Russia during the next discussion on it, the MEP and chairman of the party Homeland Union - Lithuanian Christian Democrats Gabrielius Landsbergis stated, Delfi reports.
"Some member states say that part of sanctions against Russia could be lifted as a sign of encouragement," Landsbergis told. The MEP himself disagrees with such point of view, because, according to the politician, there are no grounds to cancel the sanctions upon Russia.
Landsbergis claims that he sees no clear signs of improvement in the situation in Ukraine, except for the current truce. "Any talks on lifting sanctions are discrediting Minsk agreements," the MEP said.
He expressed hope that the decision not to water down the sanctions against Russia will be supported by a report on the EU's relations with Russia prepared by the MEP and adopted by the European Parliament.
The decision on sanctions is to be adopted in December by the European Council.
EU leaders to discuss relations with Russia 26 September, 21:23
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels