Schulz: It’s cynical to gloat over results of Dutch referendum
President of the European Parliament urged politicians and common citizens to “fight for European project”
Martin Schulz called on EU’s political forces and common citizens of EU member countries to start struggling for united Europe. He said this in an interview with Funke-Mediengruppe (all-in.de).
The official also expressed his regret over the results of the nationwide Dutch referendum, where almost two-thirds of the citizens voted against Ukraine’s association with the EU. According to Schulz, the opponents of association had a lot of arguments, but none of them concerned the content of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement.
“The agreement is an important part of efforts aimed at bringing peace to the region, which was worn out by military aggression and war. It’s cynical that those responsible for the crisis in Ukraine now gloat over the referendum’s results”, said the President of the European Parliament.
As 112 International reported, the nationwide referendum in the Netherlands took place on April 6. The plebiscite was supposed to show the attitude of the Dutch towards political association between the EU and Ukraine. According to various exit polls released across the country after the referendum, 61 percent of the respondents voted “contra”.
The official results of the referendum will be released on April 12.
Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics 26 October, 21:49
Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas 26 October, 19:34
Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors 26 October, 20:56
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case