Rutte asks EU leaders to help Netherlands find best decision on Association with Ukraine
The country is the only remaining EU member that has not yet ratified the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
Reuters quoted Rutte this on Wednesday, as the Dutch PM turned to EU leading figures asking for assistance on this complicated matter. ‘The exact form - I don't know yet. It could be that we have to change the text; it could be that we can find a solution which will not involve changing the text of the association agreement. We will try to find a solution, it will be difficult, the chances are small that we will get there but I think we should try’, Mark Rutte said after the first day of the European Council session in Brussels.
Currently, the Netherlands are the only EU member country that has not yet ratified the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement. Most of the Dutch citizens opposed Ukraine’s association with the EU at the referendum that took place in April this year. That showed there is some discontent between Rutte’s foreign policy and the public opinion in the Netherlands.
The Dutch government is now in tough spot. On the one hand, it can’t ignore the public opinion; on the other, it can’t ignore the will of 45 million-strong nation to join the EU eventually, writes Reuters.
Read full article here: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-eu-idUSKCN0ZE2QZ?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=577325c604d3014ad820d731&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:05Two wounded, no dead in Donbas over past day, - Lysenko
- SPORT13:14Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship
- POLITICS12:34Ukraine’s Interpol to conduct internal review of Yanukovych allies’ charges
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:2333 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars