MP: We show the Dutch that Ukrainians are Europeans, too
Ukrainian MP Olexiy Honcharenko commented on the bikeride flashmob that took place in the Netherlands during the campaign to promote Ukraine
The international bikeride flashmob to support the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement is a chance to persuade the Dutch people that Ukrainians are Europeans, just like themselves. Olexiy Honcharenko, member of parliamentary faction of Petro Poroshenko’s Bloc, said this in a commentary to 112 Ukraine TV channel.
“I’m in the Hague now. We organized this event, because we are sure this is a way to conduct the international diplomacy. It’s another chance to persuade the locals we are Europeans, too”, Honcharehnko said.
According to him, dozens of bicyclists from Ukraine participated. “We drove about 70 kilometers, visited many cities and talked to a lot of people. We managed to explain them what’s going on, to bust many of the myths far-fetched by the Russian propaganda. I reckon it was quite effective”, the MP noted.
On April 3, Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin opened the international bikeride flashmob in Amsterdam, which was meant to support the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement before the referendum in the Netherlands. It is slated for April 6.
As is known, the plebiscite is considered a consultative one; its outcome will not oblige the Dutch government to make any decisions. However, both domestic and foreign experts say that the will expression of the Dutch people could have an impact on political position of EU political forces towards Ukraine. If the Dutch decline the idea of ratification of EU-Ukraine Association Agreement by the government, it could also strengthen positions of pro-Russian lobbyists representing nationalist and ultranationalist wing of European politicians.
Donbas: Avdiivka under mortar fire 13 October, 23:58
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
- POLITICS11:15Russian law enforcers search apartment of 112 Ukraine TV channel's reporter in Moscow
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:58Poltorak: Minsk agreements put Debaltseve as Ukrainian territory
- POLITICS10:12Cabinet allocates USD 4.8 mln for development of military technologies
- POLITICS09:28Syrian army vows to down Turkish military aircraft
- POLITICS08:47Russia: ‘Humanitarian break’ in Aleppo continues until October 24
- UKRAINE CRISIS 08:00Donbas: Vicinities of Mariupol under mortar fire
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:57Donbas: 152 mm shells hit Avdiivka, Donetsk region
- SPORT22:42UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0
- POLITICS21:30Stoltenberg: NATO and allies to assist Ukraine via trust funds
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars
18:42, 20 October Poroshenko, Orban meet in Brussels