If Ukraine fulfill all the requirements, European officials will not be able to refuse a visa-free regime
An interwiev of European studio '112 Ukraine' with Rebecca Harms, Member of European Parliament from Germany
- This week, Ukrainian officials should announce the results of investigations of crimes on Maidan. No one yet has been punished for these crimes. Why do you think it happens in such a way?
Harms: I can not explain it. I can understand all the Ukrainian people and those, who consider themselves as friends of Ukraine, who are unhappy with how the investigation is going, which leads Prosecutor General's Office. Two years have almost passed and it is really a cause for disappointment. And now I hope that there will be the conclusive results.
- Continuing the theme, you criticized the Ukrainian authorities that they delaying the reform of the prosecution. You spoke with such a criticism in time of Yanukovych. Has something already changed in this area, and what in fact has to change?
- There are some changes, and these changes can be really welcomed. First of all we are talking about the efforts in fight with corruption. However, the more profound changes should be in the legal sector. For example, I like the way how the Ukrainian government introduces a new institution - the Anti-Corruption Bureau. I am impressed by this new man, Mr. Sitnik, who led this institution. But I see that he can not do his work if there is no solution to the issue of reorganization of the judicial system.
- We know that in the past year (since you wanted to go to Russia in order to study the case of Nadiya Savchenko) you are persona non grata in Russia. What the decision in this case you can forecast and how do you assess Russia's legal system?
- Taking into account what is happening around it, there are no preconditions for normalization of relations between the EU and Russia. And the anxiety of the EU is quite clear. What I see how the situation develops in eastern Ukraine, it can not satisfy. And we are still very far from the execution of Minsk agreements. The same applies to how the situation develops in Crimea. So, now I do not see the way how to normalize the relations between the EU and Russia. It is not just about Ukraine. It is about our principles, European democracy. Therefore, we can not consider Russia as our ally. Perhaps we need Russia to solve the situation in Syria, but this does not mean that we will forget about Ukraine, which is part of European territory.
- Our traditional question. We are waiting for visa-free regime next year in Ukraine. What is your forecast for the resolution of this issue?
- Personally I am a passionate fan of the matter. This is something that I strongly support more than 10 years here in the European institutions. I hope that Ukrainians will finally fulfill all the technical requirements and then European officials simply will not be able to refuse.
EU is ready to discuss introducing new sanctions against Russia 13 October, 10:27
Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine 21 October, 15:58
Klimkin: Russia tries to tear Europe appart 12 October, 17:33
- RUSSIA18:22Sergei Oznobischev: "Tea with plutonium"
- FINANCE11:11Mykola Martynenko: "Why Ukraine is called "toxic dead zone" for investments"
- RUSSIA22:00Igor Eidman: "Putin's plutonium bluff"
- POLITICS23:15Volodymyr Vasylenko: "We need to create anti-Putin coalition following example of anti-Hitler, - diplomat"
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Bohdan Yaremenko: "Ukrainian authorities do not think about the next steps, but about today's benefit"
- POLITICS09:44Andreas Umland: "OUN is presented as a standard of Ukrainian patriotism"
- SPORT13:49Bogdan Kulynych: "The price of the victory: Ukraine's "gold" at the Paralympics"
- POLITICS17:45Newt Gingrich: "Former Speaker of US Congress: President Trump to sell arms to Ukraine"
- SPORT10:07Olena Yurkovska: "Ukrainian society beginns to accept Paralympic participants as athletes"
- SPORT21:05 112.ua: "Olympic revelations: Officials did everything so that Ukraine received no medals"
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars