European Parliament to discuss human rights violations in Russia
Case of Ukrainians Sentsov and Kolchenko is included on the agenda
Next week Members of European Parliament will hold a special debate on human rights violations in the Russian Federation. It was stated by President Poroshenko on its Facebook page.
"We continue the struggle for our citizens who are illegally kept by Russia. As a response to my appeal, next week MEPs will hold a special debate on human rights violations in Russia. The basis for debate is a gross violation of human rights of Oleh Sentsov and Olexander Kolchenko," said the head of state.
As was reported before, Ukraine has already filled the fourth claim to the European Court of Human Rights against the Russian Federation. This is the lawsuit Ukraine v. Russia, and a part of this lawsuit is violation of the right to justice, namely, Oleh Sentsov’s rights.
Ukrainians Oleh Sentsov and Oleksandr Kolchenko have been sentenced to 20 years and 10 years respectively in a Russian prison following their trial in a military court in Rostov-on-Don. The sentence on suspicion of plotting terrorist acts in Crimea was pronounced August 25, 2015. Sentencing in a Russian military court of acclaimed Ukrainian filmmaker Oleh Sentsov and activist Oleksandr Kolchenko provoked a stormy reaction within the international community, which strongly condemned the groundless allegation and Russia's behaviour.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:5925 attacks from Russia-backed militants reported, - ATO HQ
- UA & EU23:22Ukraine, Montenegro, Albania, Liechtenstein and Norway join EU anti-Russia sanctions
- POLITICS22:37Ukraine in UN to oppose attempts to undermine world order
- RUSSIA21:53Russia opens criminal cases against six Ukraine’s Armed Forces commanders
- UA & EU21:04Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:21Donbas to revive hope to return to Ukraine, - Governor of Donetsk region
- SOCIETY19:37Most influential Ukrainian in the world passed away
- SOCIETY18:49Health Ministry to offer creation of Ukraine’s National Health Service
- SOCIETY18:05Law enforcement officers complete measures regarding mining of 112 Ukraine TV Channel
- POLITICS17:23Peskov denies Putin, Poroshenko talking in raised voice in Berlin
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:56, 24 October Ahtem Chyigoz hearings continued in the 'court' of occupied Crimea
18:29, 24 October Security Service shuts down illegal traffic chain