Council of Europe and the EU to allocate 4mln EUR for human rights protection in Ukraine
Special Adviser to the Secretary General of the Council of Europe in Ukraine Christos Giakoumopoulos announced the assistance at the briefing in Kyiv
The Council of Europe and the European Union providing 4 million EUR for projects to enhance the standards of human rights, reform of penitentiary system, fight against corruption and support of elections in Ukraine, Special Adviser to the Secretary General of the Council of Europe in Ukraine Christos Giakoumopoulos at a press conference held in Kyiv November 3, Interfax reports.
"We urge the Ukrainian authorities that they fulfill their responsibilities to the people and help them in it," the Special Adviser said.
According to him, the main driving force of any change is civil society, therefore, NGOs are the part of all cooperation programs of the Council of Europe and the EU.
The total budget for the implementation of these projects is 4 million EUR and allocated funds will go at 4 programs to be implemented in Ukraine for the next two years. They will be aimed at strengthening human rights standards, in particular, the work of the Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights, implementation of penitentiary reform, fight against corruption and support of elections in Ukraine.
Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko 23 October, 21:13
Steinmeier: EU might fall 24 October, 10:58
Russia predicts new crisis in EU-Ukraine relations 24 October, 21:04
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:05Russia sends its 57th humanitarian convoy to Donbas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case