Challenges for Ukraine in the coming months, - Ambassador of Sweden
Andreas von Bekerath, Ambassador of Sweden, comments on the process of reformation in Ukraine
Two years have passed since people in Ukraine went out on the streets with protests, demanding the right to live without corruption and kleptocracy. The entire world community observed the events in Maidan. Foreign diplomats witnessed bravery of demonstrators and their eagerness to fight for European values, for the rule of law in particular. The large number of people, who paid the highest price and gave away their lives, has become a reminding about everything people were ready to sacrifice to change their country for the better.
The hope that Ukraine will implement reforms that will result in the rule of law and equality of rights are still a reality. Despite Russian aggression, including illegal annexation of Crimea and military operation in Donbas, Ukraine has started the process of large-scale and ambitious reformation. Important reforms are being implemented in key sectors such as energetics, local government and management of state finance. I am proud that Sweden is Ukraine’s partner in all of these fields, especially in the field of energy efficiency and decentralization.
Ukraine’s biggest challenges in the coming months are showing considerable results in elimination of corruption and strengthening the rule of law by way of reforming the judicial system.
I am very optimistic about Ukraine’s future.
What to expect from EU-Ukraine summit? 11 October, 13:53
Tusk: EU Council startled by success of Ukraine’s economy 29 September, 11:45
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars