"Impunity cannot be tolerated in a democratic society" says Richard Howitt
Members of EP expect from Ukrainian authorities systemic law enforcement reforms
"Impunity cannot be tolerated in any democratic society. Here I want to mention violence against participants of sexual minorities march in Ukraine. EU Advisory Mission helps Ukraine to reform the law enforcement bodies. This is an example of our help, as we expect systemic movements in this area. In these terms, it is very important for us to be sure that the country has ratified the Rome Statute and joined the International Criminal Court" said Richard Howitt, Member of the European Parliament, during the briefing in Kyiv.
Despite the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement was signed March 14 2014; Ukraine has not ratified the Rome Statute though. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Justice declares about readiness to do everything to support procedural ratification of the Rome Statute by the International Criminal Court in Ukraine.
As was reported before, Ukrainian gay pride parade in Kyiv was attacked on June 6 2015, wounding 11 policemen. The far-right “Pravyi Sektor” group had threatened the march, hurling teargas and smoke bombs at the 300 marchers. Some demonstrators faced attacks after the march dispersed.
The Rome Statute established the International Criminal Court international tribunal that sits in The Hague in the Netherlands in 1998. The Rome Statute recognizes four core international crimes: war crimes, crime of aggression, genocide, and crimes against humanity. Those crimes shall not be subject to any statute of limitations. Under the Rome Statute, the ICC can only investigate and prosecute the four core international crimes in situations where states are "unable" or "unwilling" to do so themselves.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars