Ukraine’s Olympic champion wanted his canoe with picture of missile blown up in Moscow
The actual canoe that Yuriy Cheban used in Rio featured image of Cossacks as symbol of free nation
Yuriy Cheban, Ukrainian canoeist and the Olympic champion of the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, told the press that he could have brought the canoe with quite provocative pictures on it. The boat he actually used during the event featured images of Cossacks, but initially, the idea was quite different.
‘Since the moment our country faced that tough test (the annexation of Crimea and war in Donbas, - 112 International), I decided to start making thematic images with certain point. In 2014, I ordered a boat with an image of a missile blowing up in Moscow. In Rio, I wanted to add more fragments to this image, but that idea failed. Instead, I successfully finished the race on my boat with the image of Cossacks riding their horses. The image also included sabre and club. These pictures are supposed to show that we are a free, unbroken nation, which firmly makes its own point and is capable to repel an attack of any enemy’, Cheban told Radio Liberty.
The Olympic champion gave the credit for the canoe’s design to his girlfriend Kateryna.
On August 18, Cheban won the final race in 200 m individual event at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio. Thus, he took gold and repeated his own success in London 2012.
Source: Radio Liberty
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1 21 October, 23:21
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars