UEFA.com: Postgame Comments from Poland and Portugal
Coaches and players shared their impressions and conclusions from the quarterfinal match
Fernando Santos, Portugal manager:
Poland are a very good team who know how to lull their opponents into a state of rest. But we did well, we played on the front foot and had the better chances, even if Poland had a few as well. I think we won fair and square against a very good team.
As we move further along, we get closer to our goal. We have the drive and ambition and we want to bring great joy to the Portuguese people. Penalties are a lottery but you have to show a lot of character. I knew that Poland were great at spot-kicks because they won on penalties in the last round but I told my players to stay calm because I knew they would score.
Renato Sanchez (Portugal, Man of the Match):
It is a wonderful moment for the team, for me for scoring, we have been working very hard and we have been doing our best. People criticise us but we don’t care, because we are in the semis. We conceded very early but we believed until the end, we tried our best. The move for the goal turned out that way, but the team has been playing well, we are very confident so we will keep on trying to play our best.
Adam Nawalka, Poland manager:
The team works as one. The team spirit was our driving force here. We need to think about what we've achieved here and continue to move forward. There's no need to grieve for too long - it's just a disappointment. I'm sure in time we'll look at this with more optimism.
We've moved forward - this tournament has proven that. We were very good in both the group and knockout stages. We played some very good football. We're always trying to improve and that will be the case going into the future.
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
UEFA Champions League: Dynamo Kyiv hosts Benfica tonight 19 October, 10:01
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars