UEFA.com: Portugal vs France – post-match comments
The teams shared emotions from the Euro 2016 final game at Stade de France
Didier Deschamps, head coach (France):
There are no words after that. The disappointment is huge, and we will need time to digest it. We won together, we suffered together, and today, unfortunately, we lost together. It would have been wonderful to offer them [the French people] the trophy at home, but unfortunately it didn’t happen. We must not throw everything that we’ve done away, but we threw away a great chance to be European champions – not the only one, but a great one.
Antione Griezmann, midfielder, Golden Boot winner (France):
It’s cruel and magnificent at the same time. We’ve lived through some extraordinary moments, and the saddest moments as well. We have to learn. But tonight we gave it our all and we have no regrets. I'm proud of the squad, proud of everybody. Now we have to come back stronger. This time we didn’t manage it, unlike against Germany. It's a pity. We hit the post, I had chances as well and I almost scored. The goalkeeper played well, too. It's frustrating, but we must come back stronger.
Fernando Santos, head coach (Portugal):
I've always said we’re a team. I never hide my thoughts – I always tell my players what’s on my mind. I've always told them we've got great talent but we need to fight more than our opponents, run more than them and be more focused than them. We have an amazing group. They’ve always believed what I told them: that we could win this. Wherever we’ve gone there have always been Portuguese fans. This lifted our souls. It’s hard to describe the players’ emotions – it’s incredible. Our skipper put in an immense effort; he has amazing team spirit. Twice he tried to get back on the pitch but him being there in the dressing room and on the bench was very important for us. He believed – just like myself – that tonight was our night.
Eder, goalscorer, forward (Portugal):
We went through a difficult spell after [Cristiano] Ronaldo's injury, because he's the best player in the world and an important player for us. But after that he still gave us all his strength and bravery, and we got this important victory, both for him and all of Portugal. It was a very special goal, the winning goal. A turn and strike that ended up being unstoppable for [Hugo] Lloris. But it's a goal that was very well created by the team, and by all the effort the team put in both in this match and since the beginning of EURO.
UEFA Champions League: Dynamo Kyiv hosts Benfica tonight 19 October, 10:01
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:01Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported
- SOCIETY21:12FSB ensnared Sushchenko in Moscow by preparing trap, - Feygin
- UA & EU20:24"PACE considers not expulsion of Russia but maintaining current status quo", - Ariev
- POLITICS19:36"Yesterday I was judged in Russia and today will be judged in Ukraine", - Savchenko
- SOCIETY18:47Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars