UEFA.com: France vs Iceland, - post-match comments
Icelanders leave Euro 2016 with their heads high, fairly earning love of thousands of fans
Didier Deschamps, coach (France):
There are a lot of positives to take away from this evening and I am delighted for the players as they deserve this, and for these fans who have been behind us for months. To be able to offer them something to make them smile and feel happy and have another week in it - I’m delighted about that. It wasn’t easy to manage everything but this evening we did all we had to in the first half.
Olivier Giroud, forward, Man of the Match (France):
We scored five goals and we're very pleased. Iceland never gave up. They're a very determined side and I'd like to congratulate them. They had a great EURO. I don't know if this is my best performance for France. I've played other good games but this is in a major tournament so perhaps it is. I felt really good from the start. We're used to making bad starts, but we began strongly and need to continue like that.
Lars Lagerbäck, joint coach (Iceland):
We didn't handle it well mentally, but in the second half we showed it wasn't a physical problem. These are the games you have to learn from and we need to learn from this. This was a good reminder that you have to have the right attitude every second. If you look at the whole tournament, to reach the quarter-finals as a newcomer is absolutely fantastic. We didn't use our brains, but part of that might be France playing very well. We made mistakes and were too passive. I'd like to congratulate France. They're a fantastic team and they made us look bad, even if we contributed to that. These four-and-a-half years have been a fantastic journey for me. With all the fans coming here and what we heard from back home, and all the positivity and interest – I feel it deep in my heart. I've enjoyed every minute, except maybe the first 45 minutes today.
Aron Gunnarsson, midfielder, captain (Iceland):
I feel disappointed but yet so incredibly proud of this fairy tale run that has just ended. It has been hard - we have had to earn it. We’ve had to push ourselves and thankfully through it all we could rely on our fans’ incredible support. I am flabbergasted by them. I think this just shows the support Icelanders have shown towards the team. It also shows how much the team has put into delivering at this tournament.
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
UEFA Champions League: Dynamo Kyiv hosts Benfica tonight 19 October, 10:01
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 28 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:14OSCE Representative to visit occupied Donbas, meet Ukraine’s hostages
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:31Next Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk planned for November 9
- UKRAINE CRISIS 21:49Ukraine in Minsk offers to liquidate Donetsk and Luhansk republics
- POLITICS20:56Poroshenko receives credentials from Iraq and Azerbaijan Ambassadors
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:18Ukraine in Minsk insists on primacy security issues and OSCE border control
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:34Russia not to allow ICRC mission to Ukraine’s prisoners in Donbas
- FINANCE18:44Groysman provides electronic declaration of his possessions
- POLITICS17:57Poroshenko receives credentials from Ambassador of Poland Jan Peklo
- SOCIETY17:15Russia's Supreme Court upheld Karpyuk, Klykh sentences
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case