Turkish intelligence found that rebels were preparing coup attempt several hours before it started
General Staff of Armed Forces reported this on Tuesday
The information reached the General Staff at 4 p.m. Friday. The General Staff Chief immediately ordered that military aircraft and ground vehicles stop their movement.
Previously, Turkish President Recep Tayip Erdogan said he’d be killed by rebels, had he stayed in the building in Marmaris resort for another 10-15 minutes. The Turkish leader left the building 30 minutes before the armed rebels arrived.
The military coup attempt in Turkey took place in late hours of July 15 and early hours of July 16. It failed, as the military leadership and the vast majority of common citizens supported Erdogan. 290 people were killed in firefights, another 1,400 were wounded. Thousands were arrested under charges of involvement in the mutiny; thousands of army and police servicemen were fired.
Former Head of Turkish Air Force Ali Oztürk admitted he was the one who planned and designed the coup attempt; he and dozens of other Turkish rebel servicemen were arrested and brought to trial.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:36OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars