Svitolina: “I was so upset Serena Williams refused to play”
The Ukrainian tennis player defeated Vicky Duval in her first Hopman Cup match
Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina outmatched U.S. tennis player Vicky Duval in her first game at the Hopman Cup held in Perth, Australia (korrespondent.ua). During the game that took place January 4, Svitolina actually had to oppose Serena Williams, the number one in big tennis, but Duval replaced Williams, who withdrew with injury prior to the tie.
Commenting on her victory over Duval, the Ukrainian athlete said: “I was very upset that Serena refused to play further. I hope she’ll recover fast. I was quite surprised because I’ve practicing hard to face her. Perhaps, because of this surprise I didn’t show my best. See, I learned I will oppose Duval just an hour before the game. That had a great impact on me. I was ready to play against the world’s №1 in tennis, but when I learned there would be a substitution, I seem to have lost my energy and mood”.
“My opponent was good, she’s got a promising outlook. On the whole, I’m satisfied with my game. I’m glad to play in one team with Olexandr Dolgopolov . You never know what to expect from him, but that’s what makes Ukraine’s national team so special”, Svitolina said.
MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1 21 October, 23:21
Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details 21 October, 20:34
Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine 21 October, 21:39
Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators 21 October, 22:18
- SOCIETY18:45Sentsov placed in punishment cell for 15 days, - sister
- POLITICS18:00Belarus MFA handed protest note to Ambassador of Ukraine due to forced return of aircraft
- POLITICS17:12Ukraine is waging two wars - with Putin's occupiers and crime, - Lutsenko
- SOCIETY16:24Forensic psychological examination of Klykh showed he is mentally healthy
- POLITICS15:36Kyiv to seek Sentsov and Kolchenko's extradition under exchange procedure, - source
- SPORT14:51Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina threatened in Moscow
- SOCIETY14:03Belavia’s passenger plane forcibly landed in Zhuliany airport in Kyiv
- POLITICS13:13Lutsenko: Every third local prosecutor replaced across Ukraine
- RUSSIA12:28Klykh grew insane due to tortures in Russia, - human rights defender
- RUSSIA11:46Russia presents FIFA World Cup 2018 mascot
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars