Rio 2016: Police uses tear gas against demonstrators at meeting of Olympic flame
Residents angered by huge cost of Olympics 2016
The sailing medalists brought Olympic flame on a boat to Rio de Janeiro on the eve of the Games on Wednesday evening. Police used tear gas to disperse the protest that unfolded during the opening meeting of the Olympic flame in Rio de Janeiro. Russian BBC Service reports this.
Hundreds of protesters, angered by the huge cost of the Olympics 2016 met the Olympic flame. A group of protesters blocked the way of the Olympic flame carriers.
The Olympic flame was planned to carry across the city, including the poor areas, to the statue of Christ the Savior, and then to the Maracana stadium. As a result, the route has been slightly changed.
Poroshenko awards Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic athletes 5 October, 21:08
- POLITICS17:31Avakov: Russia can only be defeated by united worldwide opposition
- SPORT16:48Boxing: Lomachenko and Russian boxer pose wearing T-shirts with Ukrainian trident
- UKRAINE CRISIS 16:03Hug: More action by JCCC needed for successful disengagement in Donbas
- FINANCE15:17IMF mission to arrive to Ukraine in November
- SOCIETY14:30Sushchenko needs to be exchanged, - lawyer
- SOCIETY13:30Moscow court rejects appeal on Sushchenko’s arrest
- SOCIETY12:43112 Ukraine becomes best news TV channel 2016
- SOCIETY11:21Savchenko in Moscow walks on Red Square and visits Ukraine’s Embassy
- POLITICS10:32NATO describes rotation of forces in Eastern Europe
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:44Militants increase fire activity: 72 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
19:02, 26 October Anti-Putin protests in Tel-Aviv
18:44, 26 October Russia's Supreme Court hearing in Klykh-Karpyuk case