Rio 2016: Arrested IOC official temporary retires from all posts
Head of European Olympic Committee and IOC member Patrick Hickey is suspected of speculation tickets to Games
Member of the International Olympic Committee of Ireland, head of the European Olympic Committee, Patrick Hickey decided to temporarily leave all his posts after being arrested on charges of speculation on tickets for Olympics competitions 2016 in Rio. The National Olympic Committee of Ireland states this.
"Due to morning events and poor health, Mr. Hickey decided to temporarily leave the post of president of the Olympic Committee of Ireland and other positions in the Olympic movement, until the situation will fully resolve", reads the statement.
The Committee stressed that Hickey fully complies with the conditions of the arrest warrant, written out by the Brazilian authorities.
71-year-old Hickey is accused of the sale of 1 000 free tickets to the Games in Rio, given to NOC Ireland.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas