Restaurant for needy locals opens in Rio
There will be enough free food to feed 108 people daily
The restaurant is sponsored by local charity organizations; from now on till the end of the Summer Olympics and the Paralympic Games in Brazil, the poor people will be able to grab a bite for free.
The food is actually the leftovers of what athletes and cooks considered too much and unnecessary. According to David Gertz, one of the project’s initiators, the project aims to fight extravagance. ‘I learned that every day, 120 vans with food leave the food factories and reach the athletes in the Olympic village. But 20 of those vans get back, and then, their contents are destroyed. Fighting extravagancy is one of our targets; another one is fighting hunger, since we will provide people with nice food’, he said.
The right for a free meal will be granted to the needy people who receive assistance from the local NGOs.
Gertz expressed confidence that his restaurant’s visitors will get even better food than that cooked for the athletes in the Olympic village. Lately, many athletes complained about the badly cooked and monotone food.
Poroshenko awards Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic athletes 5 October, 21:08
Paralympics: Several hundred of people greet Ukraine’s athletes 22 September, 08:42
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars