Poroshenko awards Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic athletes
Also awards were given to coaches of athletes
President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko met with the champions and winners of the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2016, the coaching staff, team doctors and handed the high state awards to the best sportsmen.
Poroshenko said he was glad to be able to meet with everyone who prepared the successful performance of our athletes and adequately presented their home country, to thank each of them. "The country is proud of you, dear athletes", he said.
"Thank you for such a powerful representation of Ukraine, because this is a great victory gained by immense will of each of the athletes”, the President said. “Thank you for your patriotism and your love for Ukraine. Thank you for showing the true Ukraine in Rio, in Brazil. Thank you for getting the glory in the name of Ukraine".
He reminded that the National Olympic team of Ukraine won 11 medals, highlighting performances of gymnast Oleg Vernyaev and canoe rower Yuriy Cheban.
"The real heroes were the athletes who deservedly received silver and bronze medals. I can say that there was extremely tight race for this silver and bronze, the desire to reach the top in spite of everything. And sometimes, silver is worth more than gold", said Poroshenko.
Especially President noted the Paralympic team of Ukraine, which performed in Rio and is rightly called one of the best in the history of the team and the pride of every Ukrainian citizen. "To say that this is the best performance in its history of the Paralympic team - it is not to say anything. Ukrainian team showed its vanguard role in the global Paralympic Movement, because of the pride of the right to be in the top three sports states from more than 170 countries", he said.
Ukrainian Paralympians won 117 medals, of which 41 are gold, 37 are silver and 39 - bronze. Athletes have set 22 world records, 32 - Paralympic records and 54 European records for Paralympic sports, the President recalled.
Poroshenko to meet with Stoltenberg in Brussels 20 October, 10:25
Poroshenko holds speech after Normandy Four meeting 20 October, 01:46
Merkel stresses importance of negotiations on Ukraine with Putin 20 October, 12:42
Normandy four meeting finished, Poroshenko leaves 20 October, 00:58
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:59Donbas conflict: 16 attacks reported, - ATO HQ
- POLITICS23:21MPs to increase themselves salaries as of November 1
- SOCIETY22:18Police arrests one of Inter TV Channel instigators
- SOCIETY21:39Russia refused to hand over Alexander Kolchenko to Ukraine
- SOCIETY20:34Searches at Kseniya Babych: Journalist reveals details
- UKRAINE CRISIS 20:31OSCE SMM: Disarmament paused in Donbas
- POLITICS19:31Italy’s Renzi forces retreat from new sanctions on Russia
- POLITICS19:14New leak from WikiLeaks: Obama’s emails from 2008 campaign revealed
- UKRAINE TOP 18:35Searches at Kseniya Babych: National Union of Journalists of Ukraine express their concern
- SOCIETY18:17Searches at Kseniya Babych: Investigators believe first interrogation is most important
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars