National Olympic Committee to footballers: Stop fighting or Ukraine will have to skip Euro 2016
Players of key teams got into a fight, which could put in doubt their teamwork within the national squad ahead of the competition
Ukraine’s NOC (National Olympic Committee) urged players of Dynamo Kyiv and Shakhtar Donetsk to stop the conflict that took place during the recent match. It took place in Lviv, at Shakhtar’s home stadium, on May 1.
As Ukraine’s national football team consists mainly of those representing Shakhtar and Dynamo, the organization fears the squabble may affect the team chemistry and cripple their moral conditions ahead of Euro 2016. As is known, the Europe’s most prestigious tournament is to be held in France in summer this year.
Vice President of the NOC Mykola Tomenko turned to the sportsmen, reporters and fans asking to “stop the football war” between Dynamo and Shakhtar. “Otherwise, we’ll have to give up participation in Euro 2016”, he posted at Facebook.
The tension has been in the air for several days already; it creates additional difficulties, making it harder for the national team’s management to shape up a united, full-fledged and competitive squad that would represent Ukraine at the competition. “Currently, our opponents rub their hands, expecting Ukraine to fail in France. Why not teach the youth true patriotism and professionalism in football by informal communication, not by silly talks in the media”, Tomenko wrote, turning to the elderly football celebrities in Ukraine.
Watch the video:
During the match of Round 24 in Ukraine's Premier League, players of both teams got into a fight after Shakhtar's Taras Stepanenko provoked the opponent's team and their fans. The witnesses reported he mockingly showed the emblem of his team to Dynamo's fans after Shakhtar scored their third goal. The Kyivites lost 3-0, with Dynamo alredy being this season's champion in the League.
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Besiktas faces Dynamo Kyiv tonight 28 September, 10:29
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:43Trilateral Contact Group meeting kicks off in Minsk
- SOCIETY15:05Novel “Airport” nominated for Shevchenko Award in Ukraine
- FINANCE14:58Groysman: Cabinet to raise minimal salary in Ukraine to USD 125
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:14‘DPR’ capture Ukrainian citizen, charge her with preparing to kidnap their comrade
- UA & EU13:30MP: Netherlands should take responsibility for decision on EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- FINANCE12:17IMF mission delays visit to Ukraine
- POLITICS11:29Savchenko: ‘I came to support Ukrainians – even if I don’t leave Russia alive’
- POLITICS10:44Trump: Hillary could bring the U.S. to WWIII
- POLITICS10:00Savchenko reaches Russian court as hearing in Karpyuk, Klykh cases goes on
- UKRAINE CRISIS 09:21OSCE SMM in Donbas reports limited access to disengagement areas
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
18:10, 25 October Parties to Minks group to discuss new disengagement areas in Donbas