Lomachenko Street appeared in boxer’s home town
Bilhorod-Dnistrovsky town got rid of the street’s old Soviet name
A street named after famous Ukrainian boxer Vasyl Lomachenko appeared in his home town of Bilhorod-Dnistrovsky (Odesa region, southern Ukraine). According to the athlete’s official web site, the town council decided to rename Komsomolska Street in order to get rid of the old-fashioned Soviet heritage. This is one of the cases of de-communization of Ukraine, quite a popular movement that grew nationwide during the Revolution of Dignity in late 2013-early 2014.
The town council reported that by doing so, the authorities honor Lomachenko’s and his family’s achievements in sport. The toponymical committee gathered about 700 signatures under the respective decree – all those living at the street.
A gym where the Ukrainian boxer took his first boxing lessons is located at Lomachenko Street.
In December 2015, Vasyl Lomachenko was included in the HBO channel’s top 10 of the world’s best boxers (nv.ua). Legendary Mike Tyson also spoke highly of Lomachenko, calling him one of the best boxers on the globe.
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
Fury: ‘Why would I fear Klitschko?’ 10 October, 15:10
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars