Euro 2016: National Football Day to be celebrated in Iceland after European Championship
Small state is experiencing euphoria after successful performance of national team in France
National Football Day in Iceland may appear after a successful performance of the national team at Euro 2016. According to Unian, the Ambassador of Iceland in France Asgeirsdottir Berglind shared this opinion.
"We have a national holiday - the Republic Day, which is celebrated on June 17, but another holiday may appear in June – the National Football Day. I do not know whether it will be the day-off, we already have a lot of holidays comparing with other countries. But our government is required to raise this issue", Asgeirsdottir said.
"The Minister of Finance and Minister of Sport themselves played football some time ago. Brother of our new president is a former handball player, one of the best in Europe. And recently a meeting of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA), and the representative of Iceland came there in the national team t-shirt! It’s absolutely the business event, all in civilian clothes, and she was in a football shirt", Asgeirsdottir said, stressing that this act was unanimously approved by colleagues.
Icelandic diplomat also expects the players will be greeted as heroes on their return to Iceland.
Football: We’re able to surprise Ukraine, - Kosovo coach 5 October, 14:53
Ukraine defeats Kosovo 3-0 10 October, 10:38
UEFA Champions League: Dynamo Kyiv hosts Benfica tonight 19 October, 10:01
UEFA Champions League: Shakhtar Donetsk defeats KAA Gent 5-0 20 October, 22:42
- POLITICS17:29Putin, Russian Security Council discuss Normandy talks
- SOCIETY16:40Searches at Kseniya Babych: Russia may have plan to threaten journalists
- UKRAINE TOP 16:30Searches at Kseniya Babych: after 3 hours an interview at the Investigation Committee is over
- POLITICS15:58Normandy Four meeting preserves EU unity in support for Ukraine
- UKRAINE TOP 15:18Searches at Kseniya Babych: 112 Ukraine TV channel statement
- POLITICS14:44Lutsenko: 20 searches at a time conducted by Ukrainian law enforcers
- UKRAINE TOP 13:54Searches at Kseniya Babych: it is dangerous for Ukrainian journalists to stay in Moscow, - Feygin
- RUSSIA13:22Russia refuses to hand Sentsov over to Ukraine
- POLITICS12:32Searches at Kseniya Babych: No media freedom in Russia for long time already, - Gerashchenko
- UKRAINE TOP 11:51Searches in Moscow flat of Ukrainian journalist Kseniya Babych
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars