Violence against Euromaidan protesters doesn't amount to crimes against humanity - ICC
The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court Fatou Bensouda stated that although serious violations of human rights took place during Euromaidan, yet they did not meet the criteria to be recognized as crimes against humanity.
Ukrainian law enforcement agencies did not committed crimes against humanity during protests on Maidan in Kyiv in 2013-2014, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court Fatou Bensouda stated, Deutsche Welle reports.
According to the preliminary findings of the International Criminal Court in Hague, Ukrainian law enforcers often used "excessive and unreasonable" force against protesters and journalists during protests on Maidan in 2013-2014. However, it does not correspond with the definition of crime against humanity.
"While these considerations tend to indicate that the alleged crimes do not amount to crimes against humanity, the Office notes that serious human rights abuses did occur and its preliminary assessment of the Maidan events may be reconsidered in light of new facts or information which may be relevant to the assessment of the widespread or systematic nature of the alleged attack," the prosecutor told in her report.
Bensouda explained that although the clashes on Maidan contained "attacks directed against the civilian population”, there remained lack of information that would confirm such actions were common or systematic. This is one of the criteria, which defines the concept of crimes against humanity.
According to the prosecutor, the Hague tribunal continues preliminary check for crimes against humanity in other parts of the country, particularly in annexed by Russian Federation Crimea as well as in Donbas. In addition, Bensouda said that she "closely monitoring the progress" of investigation, which relates to the Malaysian MH17 downed airliner.
Recalling that Ukraine recognized the jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court, which applies to offenses committed on the Maidan and during the conflict in the Donbas.
Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine 23 October, 18:06
33 ceasefire violations in Donbas region reported, - ATO HQ 23 October, 11:23
Ukraine’s cyclist wins bronze at European Championship 23 October, 13:14
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:03Donbas conflict: 12 ceasefire violations reported over the day
- UA & EU21:13Ukraine to get visa-free regime until 24 November, - Poroshenko
- POLITICS20:25"All Minsk agreements are transparent", - Poroshenko
- UKRAINE CRISIS 19:40OSCE again reports on limiting access to three sites of disangagement
- RUSSIA18:54American hacker defaced Russian MFA website and left warning
- SOCIETY18:06Strategic command-staff exercises "Rubizh-2016" completed in Ukraine
- SOCIETY17:18"State secret" stamp wouldn't be removed, but some documents will be opened, - Feygin
- SOCIETY16:27Militant Vokha to became new commander of Sparta separatist battalion after Motorola
- POLITICS15:41Russia interested in Ukraine unified within internationally recognized borders, - Peskov
- POLITICS14:52Belavia has recording of threats of Ukrainian air traffic controllers
SOCIETY 10:30, 18 July Matriculation campaign 2015: new challenges for Ukraine
17:04, 21 October Search at Kseniya Babych: interview at the Investigation Committee
18:52, 20 October Russian law enforces conduct more searches in houses of Crimean Tatars